According to data from Copenhagen Economics, half of the EU’s 6 billion euros worth of palm oil imports are used for biodiesel mostly from South East Asia. In this session, we will look at the implications of phasing out of high-ILUC risk palm oil by 2030 and what this means for business.
· Does the science matter? Will perceptions trump reality when it comes to brand purchasing decisions?
· The future of biodiesel: How will the politics of palm oil affect biodiesel in the EU?
· Will the palm oil controversy spread to other crops/feedstocks?
· Response from certification schemes to this process
· What are the likely indirect consequences of this?