See here for the audio recording of the webinar.
We know that upcycling, recycling, and the use of recycled materials are pillars of a circular apparel industry. However, challenges to scale remain around the downgrading of recycled materials, powerful vested interests in virgin fibre production, and rapid growth in fashion consumption. Apparel brands must play a significant role in tackling these issues to limit the use of virgin fibres, and re-shape the industry. We discussed:
• What are the barriers and challenges in using and re-using recycled materials for apparel, and how can brands overcome these?
• The role of business in helping to build and scale textile recycling infrastructure
• How brands can effectively engage with consumers in circular fashion
• The tools and models available for measuring the impact of using recycled fabrics
• Nienke Steen, global lead apparel, textiles and footwear, Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute
• Anna-Karin Dahlberg, director of sustainability, Lindex
• Steven Bethell, founder, Bank & Vogue
This webinar was moderated by Tanya Richard,
head of research and stakeholder engagement at Innovation Forum.